Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Almond Squares, Christmas recipe #4!


Almond Square- another one of my Aunt's famous recipes! :)

2 sticks of melted butter (I used organic)
3 eggs (free range is best!)
2 tbsp Almond extract (pure)--- oops I thought it said tsp when I made mine and it turned out great still!
2 cups sugar (I used 1/2 cup raw honey and 3/4 cup cane sugar)
2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
Sliced or chopped almonds

Mix first four ingredients by hand. Fold in flour. Pour into a 9 by 13 baking dish (greased with grapeseed oil spray). Sprinkle with almonds and powdered cane sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Brown top under broiler (oops I forgot this step too!) for approximately 3 minutes. Keep a close eye on it so you don't burn it!!

I was thinking this base would be fun to experiment with- maybe lemon extract in place of almond topped with walnuts and cranberries? Or fold in some apples and cinnamon... just thinking out loud. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment