Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Quinoa Crusted Cod and Collard Greens- Just Scrumptious!


This collard greens recipe is from my friend Lauren, and it is so delicious I can't believe it took me so long to try it!!! I mean, seriously delicious. Who would have thought? Collard greens? Oh yes. Amazing. Check it out here:

http://caramelaurenj.blogspot.com/2009/08/collard-greens-what.html

Honey Balsamic Collard Greens!

1 bunch of collard greens
Pinch of salt ( I use sea salt-has more nutrients than table salt-make the switch today)
Olive oil
Red onion
garlic cloves
garlic scapes (optional)
Sweet Peppers (green, red, orange and or yellow)

Fill Sink with cool water. Separate leaves from stalks and immerse in water. Rub dirt off and dry ( I shake the water off and cut them, then throw them in a salad spinner to get the water off)
Roll several leaves together and slice the roll in 1-inch strips ( I believe this is called chiffonade-style)
Put leaves into a large pot, add enough water to cover the leaves. Add a pinch of sea salt and minced or chopped garlic cloves. Bring water to a boil and cook leaves until bright green. Reduce heat to med.low heat. Simmer for at least 30 minutes, until tender. (taste to see if you like the texture-Don't cook too long, you do not want mushy greens!)
When greens are cooked to your liking, drain them and return to the pot and put on the lid.
Saute 1/2 cup chopped red onion, chopped garlic scape and peppers in olive oil. add to leaves. Drizzle honey and balsamic vinegar over mixture and toss leaves.

I only used grapeseed oil in place of olive oil and added maybe a little more than a drizzle of the balsamic vinegar and especially the honey. :)

Quinoa Crusted Cod

This one was just an idea I got one day from something else, and decided to create it and give it a try! The results were better than I expected!

Wild Cod or any fish filet really, just be sure you buy wild fish and not farm raised fish and try to stay away from high mercury fish such as tilapia (I know- a mild favorite of mine too..)
Organic quinoa (pronounced keen-wa, it's a grain)
Spices ( I used) Black pepper, sea salt, paprika, garlic powder, dill and parsley.
Egg
Grapeseed oil

Fill your pan with about 1/2 an inch of grapeseed oil and heat to medium high.
Beat the egg (s) in a small bowl and set aside.
On a plate, mix together quinoa and spices.
When oil is ready (sizzles when you drip the egg in it), dunk your fish into the egg and roll into the quinoa mixture until fully covered. Fry in grapeseed oil about 5 minutes on each side (more or less depending on how think your filet is). Place on a plate covered in paper towel immediately when done to remove extra oil, and serve right away.

I served both these dishes together along with brown rice.
Enjoy! (We did!)

4 comments:

  1. Quinoa is amazing!
    Thanks for the plug honey. :)
    I am so glad that you guys loved the greens so much, too. :) IT looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo are you kidding? I didn't just love the greens, I ADORED them! Oh they were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was SO insanely excited when I figured out this was your recipe :) Thanks for linking it up to todays Seasonal Sunday!

    and I see your blog got a little makeover! It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete