Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Agave Nectar Highly Processed???

So recently we have been doing some deeper research on agave nectar. What we found is not what we were hoping for. This product has seemed to represent itself in a deceiving way, seeing that it is raw agave right? Wrong. The process in making this sweet syrup is very involved, making it not very raw at all! It is so processed and hydrolyzed, it becomes high in fructose, which is one of the worst ways you can get sugar! Ugh!

So where to go from here... well, we will be experiementing with Stevia and also using plain ol' good raw honey for sweetening. As far as agave goes, I am going to try to discontinue using it. I will say, however, that if you are diabetic, I would probably still recommend agave over Splenda or Nutrasweet. And if this news makes you want to go back to white refined sugar- don't! Use raw cane sugar instead.

More details to come. Bear with me as I make this transition!

3 comments:

  1. I know! My mom was so devastated about the soy thing. I don't have the heart to tell her and my dad about Agave nectar

    chec this out. This is a reputable Raw Food online store. Check out this link. :)

    http://www.therawfoodworld.com/product_info.php?products_id=1002195

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I will! Been sweetening with honey and experimenting with stevia.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how is your stevia experience? I have only tried the really processed, white powder and it tasted like chemicals. yuck! haah so i have not tried any of the other forms. :)

    ReplyDelete