Thursday, April 22, 2010

More on Agave Syrup...

OK, so I am hearing more and more about this controversial sweetener. My understand is, that when this was first introduced, it was in fact a good alternative to table sugar. However, it became popular so fast that a lot of companies make it highly processed now- why not more and faster is best right? BUT I have heard that there still are some makers of agave with integrity. So- here's my suggestion if you love your agave: call the companies. Ask them if it's truly raw organic agave syrup or if it's processed. Not that hard right? The brand I used to use, Wholesome, is to my knowledge one of the companies that makes it highly processed.

I liked this article too:
http://www.elanaspantry.com/is-agave-good-or-bad/

And this goes for any product. If you buy Kashi crackers and you're questioning the canola oil... call them and ask about it! Better to know for sure what is in our food then to ignore or even deny ourselves of it if it's fine in the long run.

Just a journey... I learn something new every day. :)

2 comments:

  1. http://www.ultimatesuperfoods.com/ProductDescription.aspx?comcode=NC&plinid=AGVNEC&selection=0&listitem=agave

    here is the info on the agave nectar i bought from
    www.rawfoodworld.com

    Also, it is the gallon size thast I purchased so i will be using it for awhile. haha my mom is realyl into it too, so i feel better about it, in comparison to the ones we buy locally.
    I have not tasted it yeat, but it looks yummy haha. I am going to use it in my mostly raw chocolates that I make.
    they are soo tasty dana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so i like the raw agave. it is sweet so you don't need that much and we have a container from the other one so my parents can keep refilling it with thegallon agave. I feel better about us using this particular brand and type. This all may change though, so...stay tuned :)

    ReplyDelete