Saturday, June 19, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things.....

Changing ingredients in recipes to make them healthier can be tricky. Here are some of my favorite healthier alternatives:

White sugar- My favorite thing to use in place of it is Xylitol (same amount as the sugar & make sure you get a brand that is not chemically processed! Xylitol made from birch tree is super great! We like the brand Globalsweet) or raw honey (slightly less than the sugar)

Canola oil- grapeseed oil or coconut oil

Shortening- coconut oil

Margarine or vegetable spread- real butter

Brown sugar- sucanat

Soy sauce- San-J wheat free Tamari

Mayo- grapeseed oil veganaise

Enriched white flour- whole wheat flour or coconut flour

White rice- brown rice or quinoa

Chocolate for eating or baking- 60% cocoa dark chocolate

Soda- Zevia stevia sweetened soda

We've made a lot of changes in the last year. What changes are you making?

4 comments:

  1. Ready>? OMG-found THE best creamed raw honey at my farmer's market. it is soooo good. Dana, it is creamy and sweet and the ants get right up under the lid and when i open it they fall in . ewww...
    it is so good i love mixing with my organic yogurt form the farm and fresh and frozen fruit, in my new tribest personal blender and making smoothies. I also use a green powder for extra nutrition. I want to buy some more hemp seeds, good source of vegan protein!
    I also bought a new raw dessert recipe book. yum. a lot of stuff I want to try to make!
    i already love ani phyo's raw apple pie, it is so tasty! and good for ya of course.

    I have sene the biug bad of Xylitol at the store and wondered...should I try it?
    I just stocked up on organic sugar, so that is what we have for this week. I think it will kee p changing. But the xylitol, it bakes the same as sugar, ya?
    I have some killer recipes for vegetarian dishes, since my dad renewed my vegetarian times magazine subscription for christmas. I want to make as many of those recioes as possible. I would like to shop that way. shope for recipes so I have meals to eat. buying fresh fruit and mucnching veggies to snack on. one of my goals...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and can i just say...i love coconut oil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the Xylitol though--- like agave you need to be careful because some brands that make it, make it chemically processed! yuck. So buy a brand you trust. I don't know off the top of my head what brand we get but I'll check for you.
    Matt's been on a detox for two weeks and I've had to get creative with my beans and fish lol! I hope you post some of those recipes, I would love to see them. Keep up the good work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is Global Sweet brand (Xylitol)

    ReplyDelete